Saturday, October 6, 2007

A tryst with 'Failure'........................

Today it was the tenth and the last MGPA (Machine Graded Programming Assignments ) here at CDAC, Bangalore......... and it sadly came out to be a failure for me. I was already fearing of the dreaded event this time because graph among other topics was probable to come for the test........ And this time..... like the last one..... one of the assignments of the OPAD handbook was to come for the test.... I could find three of them based on graphs...... ..... one concerning the 'Deadlock Detection', next the one for finding the shortest path according to water level, and the last one regarding the Consistency of prerequisite couses........ But I was not expecting graphs.... simply because everytime there used to be such a great hype and what all used to come....... a silly problem which took not more than 10 or 15 minutes of coding..... and no more than 10 or 15 minutes to type and submit the problems at all...... all this gave me the illussion that it was really very annoying to work so hard till late night..... and most of the time keeping awake the whole night even before the days of the MGPA's..... to find a solution to some probable problems ........ and to my utter disappointment no such problem of that kind did ever come for the MGPA..

Instead, I revised all other DSAL assignments which I had already done before but was finding them blurred in my memory....... and also developed several others that I found possible to tackle on the night just before the current MGPA..... Then after working for the whole night....... I felt I should work for the 50th and the 51st problems also...... and I did....... but by then I was so tired of coding..... and that too.... on paper..... that I could afford only to write the crucial parts of the logic that I could develop for both of the problems in the meanwhile...... .... And by the time I appeared for the MGPA, I was poised to see the same 50th assignment before me......

I wasted no time.... and started coding down whatever logic I had developed the previous night...... It was a long piece of code because it included the most details required............ and it, I could assume, should have run run successfully..... and should have passed the PARIKSHAK.... but you never know it perfectly until you actually implement it and submit it to the PARIKSHAK......

In the machine session, my fear exactly came to surface and I was caught in my program clogged in the PARIKSHAK.... with two out of 5 X's and 3 Y's .....

No comments: